Wednesday, August 12, 2009

4 x 4 f#cking 2

I would say I'm not a very impressionable person. I would actually say that there are only three things in life that will get me excited. THe first is my wife, the second is Music and the third are Movies.
So, today's subject is poetry. This all makes sense I know, bare with me. A couple of years ago I saw this fantastic comedy about football (soccer for this side of the continent). English comedy that went unnoticed (wich happens with most of them, not surely why, their humour's f#cking great). The movie was called Mike Basset England Manager. It's about an underdog coach that is hired to take England's squad to the world cup final. It's hilarious and unpredictable to say the most. Nevertheless, the subject in question is a poem. A poem written by Ruddyard Kippling. The name of the poem is IF. And there's this sketch in the movie, where this guy is being pounded by the press to resign and quit, and he starts silently declaiming this poem. It still gives me the shivers. You have to watch it.

Click the link below.
"If" by Rudyard Kipling, declaimed by Ricky Tomlinson in Mike BAsset Englan Coach

An excert from If

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with kings - nor lose the common touch;
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you;
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run -
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man my son!

No comments:

Post a Comment